Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I am appreciated, lol

Well, now that I don't have a marriage to worry about it seems that I don't have much to say for myself!

I am attempting a healthier lifestyle again (now, now, stop nodding and saying 'heard it all before'). I don't pretend to be perfect, and any attempt at a lifestyle change isn't going to run perfectly either (I swear I can hear chocolate calling me from the supermarket). But a little change is good.

I have been purchasing and putting away various household items, ready for when I move. I figure I am going to have to tighten the belt shortly, so might as well make the most of the little extra I have for the next three weeks. Yes, ex-DH returns in 20 days.

I will continue the cleaning out and sorting that I have been doing for the last few weeks. I won't be taking an awful lot, but I really feel like I have too much stuff still. I was thinking about putting alot of the sewing stuff and books into storage, simply because I don't have alot of time to do anything with them and don't want them cluttering up space, but don't want to dispose of them either.

It is so nice not to be angry and confused any more. I asked someone about this and whether it was ok, and they said I would probably feel it more once I have moved out and started moving on literally.

I turned up at work on Monday to find my area had been rearranged. I now had alot more space and extra shelving. I felt very uncomfortable about the space I had and made some comment to my enthusiastic colleague about it being bigger than my bosses office. The colleagues comeback was that he and the boss both felt I needed it. Well, ok. But I could already see that our resident cranky pants staff member didn't like it. Later she hit me with 'did you know about this?', I just told her I knew it was happening, but did not expect it to be like this. I checked with Mr Enthusiasm later and he said that Cranky Pants will be getting more space too, so that is a relief. I just don't want to find out that people I work with have been complaining about it behind my back, since I did not ask for it. I made sure to say something along those lines to our receptionist, since everything gets back to her eventually anyway.

We are having an author visit on Monday, that no-one has booked for. It isn't really our problem as it was initiated by a neighbouring bookstore and we are simply supplying the venue, but we have done a bit of promotion for it on their behalf, in the hope that we/they will get more than three kids turn up (it is a children's author). *sigh* we just don't know where we are going wrong with our promotion. The only thing that has been successful (other than my baby sessions) is stuff to do with Local History, and that is because there is a Historical Trust group that is closely tied in with the library. I mean, we can't even get the knitting group off the ground, because no-one turns up! I am having a meeting with the Local History Librarian (who is my age and very enthusiastic) tomorrow that is something to do with a conference she attended and the brilliant ideas she came back with.

I was considering what some of the other libraries in my city offer to people under the age of 20. This involved a look at their website to see what their regular programs are. I was surprised to discover that, out of ten, only two offered something for the teen age group, and two or three offered something for primary age. Most of the attention was still on babies and toddlers. Made me feel abit better about not having gotten the YA group off the ground yet.

Twice this week I have been asked if I would offer a second session of Storytime/Craft. I just told the parents that I couldn't fit it in at this stage. I can only spread myself so thin and still do desk shifts as well. I need to discuss with my supervisor how I should prepare to tackle it down the track, should my attention be on services within the library, or are my kindy and after school care visits seen as a valuable means of contact with people who may be unable to attend the library? I struggle with saying 'no', because I want to reach out to as many people as I can, and because I know how much the kindys etc appreciate the visit. Not that I do much, I read a couple of stories, sing a couple of songs and might do craft too, surely the kindy's etc do this anyway? I don't fully understand my appeal, lol.

No comments: