Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Give your time freely

Listening to Linkin Park's 'Leave out all the rest' tonight reminded me about some ideas I have had for my life. The song is about being remembered for the good that you have done, and asks friends/family to 'leave out all the rest'. It reminded me that I wanted to do good with my life. I am one of those people who wants to save the world, but is put off by how big a job that is, so does almost nothing.

That makes me sad.

Something is better than nothing.

Garth Brooks sings that one drop can make a difference (well, it is something to that effect).

I need to be a drop. Then I can help make a puddle. A pool. A river. An ocean.

I often talk/think about fostering children, but I know that my life does not suit this right now, that it is something for the future.

I could do reading tutoring. That is a drop. Is it a drop if I get paid for it? No, actually, I think my drop needs to be given freely. Am I prepared to commit to tutoring a child/adult for one hour per week for free? Imagine the difference it would make to their life. Yes, I like this drop.

But not yet. I can aim for that one in 2009 when I have a home and feel settled again. I could post a message on Freecycle - 'do you know someone who has difficulties reading? Free to a genuine need - one hour per week reading tutoring. No age limit.'

Sounds ok.

Is now the time to save the world? When is it a good time, lol? All the time!

I have been indulging in some eye candy by hanging around RSVP, you know, the dating site. It is fun, but it is actually also rather enlightening. I feel like I am very uninteresting when I read so many profiles of people who have travelled, learnt languages, read stuff I have never even heard of, are fitnessy sorts of people or very outdoorsy.

Makes me feel...ummm... a little insignificant.

I have spent my adult life raising children. Yes, I have accomplished things during that time, but nothing that would sound too exciting on a personal resume (finished school, got married, read alot of books, yada yada yada). So I have realised that I really do need to get a life that isn't completely centered on my home.

The cricket thing seems to have hit a dead end as I am not receiving replies to my contact attempts. Next on the list is dancing. I will try solo first, there is a dance studio not far away. And walking, that is a must do too. The afternoons are getting lighter, so I can go for a trot when I get home (not that I feel like it, but it won't kill the kids to wait another half hour for food).

If you see large cracks radiating out from footpaths around my city...it was me. I tried to run.

LOL

Didn't get the house. Going to look at an apartment tomorrow.

No comments: