Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Big Talk Day

It wasn't a great day today, but it wasn't awful either. I found myself to be overly emotional and negative. I need to work on positive thinking.

Big Talk No. 1 - Tween brought home a note today from his science teacher. It said that he had been particularly disruptive in class today, among other things. So I had a big chat with him again about taking responsibility for his behaviour. We also discussed what friendship was and whether his mate (who assists in the disruptiveness) was really a good friend to him. Tween remarked on something he had read in PE/Health, about friends not being people who tease alot. He said that it had made him think about how his mate behaved towards him. I encouraged him to find other friends, or develop the friendships that he has made since coming to highschool.

Big Talk No. 2 - I had the talk with Tween tonight. I asked him if he remembered how things had been between DH and I before DH went away. He said that we were angry alot and argued alot. He said that he had wished we would take a break from each other to see if we wanted to fix things. I pointed out that DH going away had given us that opportunity and that DH and I had had a talk recently and decided that we would separate and I would move out once DH came back. I could see Tweens head start ticking straight away, so I jumped in with - 'we are staying in this city, I will find a place down the road, and you guys will live with me most of the time.' He clarified where I meant when I said 'down the road'. I told him it would be an apartment, alot smaller than here, and he kind of screwed his face up, so I said that Tween and his dad could have a chat about how they want to work out the living stuff, that I was happy for him to come and hang out with his dad whenever. Tween suggested he do week about and I thought that was a pretty good idea. He seemed sad, so I said that to him. He said 'yeah'. I told him I was sad too, because I am. We talked about it for a bit longer and then Tween changed the subject completely and that was that.

I know he will now go away and think on it for awhile and pop back to me with his thoughts when he is ready. I asked him not to discuss it with No. 2. That boy is a whole other story, I think. I will tackle it shortly.

2 comments:

Frogdancer said...

That's a biggie out of the way...

if I were you I wouldn't delay too long in telling your other son. You don't want him to feel as if he's been excluded or something...

mums_hugs said...

True, but I am a little worried about his reaction. hmmm, I know I need to...I might do it this weekend.

I nearly told my mum tonight, I bet I sounded completely distracted on the phone. She didn't give me an opportunity to tell her though as she was only calling to fill me in on some news at her end. So I guess I will tell her on Sunday.