Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It was a good day at work

and by that I mean it was productive and I feel like I accomplished something.

Rhymetime this morning was busy, again. Yay. I am averaging around 26 children to the Tuesday session. Today there were quite a few new faces, including a brand new baby (9 days old). Quite a few of the regulars are having bubs, when they arrive I feel very lucky to be able greet these new faces and welcome them to Rhymetime (awake, or asleep, lol).

I had three mums tell me I looked 22yrs old. Two of them were gobsmacked when they overheard me discussing my kidlets with another parent (or two, I love talking about my kids). One had gone so far as to suggest I go and become a Kindy Teacher and so we were talking about my qualifications (because she was impressed with the session and wanted to know what experience I had) and I mentioned that I considered my own children to be valuable experience, and when she asked me how many/how old they were she nearly dropped off her seat. It is quite amusing to see people's reactions, and I have now had so many people say the same thing about my age that I really must accept that I look 9 years younger than I am! Nice!

Must be my chubby cheeks.

When it was suggested I become a Teacher I said 'no'. I have had the same thing said to me before, many times in fact, but I realised that one of the things I enjoy most about this job is that I deal with ages 0 - 17 years, I am not restricted to one age group. Also, I see the kids for an hour or two a day, whereas Teachers spend 6 hours per day with the same kids, every day for 40 weeks or so of the year. I think I would get bored as a Teacher.

Something that I believe my regular parents have appreciated is that I have made an effort to remember their child's name. Of course, sometimes I forget, especially if they have been away for a while, but if they come for two or three weeks in a row I usually remember. I like being able to say 'Hello ...." when I see them in the shopping centre, or when they arrive at Rhymetime or whatever session they come to. However, the parents names are a whole other story. Sometimes I remember, often I don't even ask, and so I know them by their children - 'Hi Tiffany's mum', 'excuse me, Christina's nanna' lol.

Continuing on from my enjoyable morning, I assisted in the rearranging of our Branch library this afternoon, which was very physically tiring. So tiring that I went to bed at 8pm when Toddler and No.2 did, slept for two hours, and then have gotten up again to finish housework and have computer time. I told Tween I was going to bed and he seemed concerned, but I just explained that it had been a tough day for my poor old body (so of course that got the response 'you're not old, mum'). I set the kitchen alarm for him so he would know when to go to bed (because if I didn't he would still be down here playing the computer). If I leave him to it he is very good about doing what he is told, not sure why it has to be any different to when I am standing over him telling him to go to bed (for the tenth time), but it is.

so there you go, that's the day done.

No comments: