Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nearly Wednesday, yay!

The cleaner at work recently came to me and complained about the parents that come to the library for my sessions. He said that they were messy and left rubbish in the children's area. I considered it to be an isolated incident, in that the parents rarely leave food mess behind, book messes, yes, all the time, but food mess is pretty rare. But the cleaner had a bee in his bonnet about it. Since then I have kept a closer eye on the issue, but was amused to catch him wandering around with a dust pan and brush expecting to clean something up, and there being nothing there! One really good thing that came out of it was that I had mentioned to my boss months ago that we should look at getting a nappy change facility for the toilets at our central library. This was ignored until someone changed their child in the library and the cleaner gave the mum a hard time about it (totally inappropriate, but that is beside the point), so now we are getting a change table. When our branch library gets a face lift I am going to insist that we get one in there too (but that could be a long way off yet).

I was going through some boxes the other day, looking for something I didn't find, when I found a diary that I had started not long before I met DH. I used to keep diaries off and on over the years, but now that I have blogging I find I come here instead and haven't used my 'current' diary for a long while. Anyway, I thought, 'oh, this will be interesting!' and it was...

I discovered that I was niave (spelling?) and silly. I had no clue about what was a good match, what I should look for in a partner, what constituted a good relationship, basically, I latched on to the first person who said I was beautiful when they were sober.

On reading my diary I discovered that DH is almost exactly the same as when we met and that we had exactly the same issues! The tv being the main one! Even in our first few months I was complaining about how much tv he watched and how he seemed to prioritise it. And I discovered that we never really dated. I met him at a party, I invited him over for dinner, we hung out at his place a bit, he hung out at mine and then we were boyfriend/girlfriend! What, was I 10? No, I was 21 years old and had not been in a serious relationship for 3 1/2 years and he was the first guy to show any real interest. Damn. I see from reading it that I was the one who pushed us into a relationship, he would have been happy to just muddle along for however long until something changed one way or another. I wish I had had the sense to take things slowly.

Well, I have a couple of other diaries floating around, maybe it is time I pulled them out and had a read.

No comments: