Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hypocrisy

The Parramatta Eels lost BOO HOO!! They have not won a grand final since 1986 :-(

My birthday party was fun. Had a couple of my bro's and their mates over for drinks on the Saturday night. We'd had plans to go clubbing later, but my foot was still giving me a lot of grief so I said I wasn't going and they decided they wouldn't either. We decorated my house with disco balls and sparkly things hanging form the ceiling, and set up strobe lights and disco lights. It looked very cool.



We drank Pina Coladas and Mango and Strawberry Daiquiris. We also drank a bottle of vodka and some red wine. We played Guitar Hero and Sing Star and had a good giggle at how we sounded. All in all a good night.



Hypocrisy. My mother is terribly guilty of this act and it frustrates me to no end. I sit and listen to her tell me how she has lectured one of my brothers on how important it is to accept people the way they are, and how you should accept that people have bad days and won't always have a smile for you...all this while she complains about how my bro does this or that, or how he did not greet her with a smile on a particular day etc etc. It also brought to mind an incident from a few years ago when we worked together. She had a go at me because I had not turned up to work with a big smile on my face (this is before opening hours, so she was the only one bothered by it) and when I told her that there were some days I just did not feel like smiling, she told me to get over it. It is difficult to listen to her go on and on when she is guilty of the very things she lectures others about.

She is showing favouritism between my brothers and I am disgusted by it. She claims it is because the middle bro is being so difficult, but I actually think half of his attitude towards her stems from being hurt that she treats him differently to the youngest bro, who she treats like her little 'sweetie'. For example, the younger two boys have moved out of home. So my mum packs up sheets and towels and plates etc for the youngest, but complains when the other helps himself, which he does after he sees that mum has given the youngest some stuff. What does she really expect?

I believe I show no favouritism. Regardless of what they all say about each other, my bro's are my bro's and are all different. I like bits about them, and don't like bits about them. I don't care if my mum has an opinion about it, I think she tries to play us all off against each other and I ignore her manipulations. I try to be open-minded and accepting of their choices, their mistakes are theirs to make and learn from.

I was discussing my mother's behaviour towards my bro's with a friend last night. Her mother has behaved much the same towards her. I daresay if I had stayed home long enough my mother would have done it to me too. My mother's opinion is that she was kicked out of home with nothing and so why should she help the boys, and yet with her actions she helps the youngest but does little for the middle. I hope I never behave towards my kids the way she has behaved.

The older bro has defended me when mum has attacked my parenting skills. We have discussed it in the car and he has said to me that he can see that I love my kids, that my kids know this, and that I have a good relationship with them. He told me that he wishes mum had done even half of that with all of us. It has not been until recently that mum has even said 'I love you' to me...that is 30 odd years of me not hearing those words from my mother. Our relationship was terrible up until about 7 yrs ago, then we managed to find a common interest in patchwork and build from there.

Parents make mistakes, there is no question of that. We muddle through as best we can, hoping that our kids will turn out ok regardless. There is no manual for parenting, no true guidance except that which we have experienced ourselves coupled with a willingness to learn from what others have done, or not done, as the case may be.

I had a slight bike accident nearly a week ago, where I dropped my bike (it hit a slight kerb and stopped unexpectedly). I burnt the inside of my leg on my bike's exhaust and it is healing, but slowly.


this is the day after the accident

It kind of looks worse now, at day 5, because it is healing. All that pink area blistered up, then partly peeled away, and the open wound is red now. The bruises are fading, I think they came from the foot pegs hitting my leg. I am not going to post a newer photo because it grosses me out, and I don't want to do that to you :-P

Had a ball at Roller Derby recently, my skating skills are really improving.

I have had a few guys try to pick me up/ask for my number recently. It is very flattering, but I have refused, simply because I am not interested. Nice to know there is hope for me in the real world tho :-)

No comments: