Monday, April 6, 2009

he's not such a baby anymore

Having a day where I just get to hang out with the kids is really special. Weekends have been so hectic lately that I have really neglected to make any quality time for them.

So we spent Sunday chilling together, chatting and playing around, lots of cuddles, watching movies etc. I took the younger two to the park in the late afternoon. No.2 climbed everything as usual :-) and spent a long time swinging. Toddler/Boy explored, tried out everything, and proved to me that he is no longer a baby so much.

There was a rope ladder at the park, fixed to a frame. Twice he climbed it with me standing behind him, ready to catch him. He had no trouble negotiating the gaps between the rungs. On the third time he told me to go away. 'Go away mummy, me do it!' was what he said. I won't say my heart broke, but it cringed a little as I realised that he was confident enough and capable enough to do it himself. He did not 'need' me anymore, not for this. I watched him from a seat a short distance away, and saw that he was a little boy, growing every day right before my eyes.

While I do not love one above the other, my Toddler/Boy has been my joy. He is laid back and generous and loving. He is sweetness and stickiness and noisiness. He is smoochy kisses and squeezy hugs. Even grumpiness passes by like a cloud. He does not like to be in trouble, preferring to push the boundary, then do as he is told when he sees he is not going to get away with it.

I was struck with the desire for another baby. I have not felt this way for quite a while now, being focused on so many other areas of my life. But I find that having my baby grow up leaves me wanting. Perhaps it is that I love to be needed, and while all of them need me to some extent, it is not the same as a baby/toddler. I am not saying I want a baby right now, or even in the next year, but I would like to think that maybe another one is a possibility in the future.

D and I discussed children a few months ago. He was interested in the possibility of us having a child. Then things went pear shaped for us and it has not been discussed again. It will not be discussed again until we are much much further along in our relationship. Perhaps he will be like most men and be just another little boy and I won't want the burden of a baby as well. Perhaps I will look into the fostering again instead. Perhaps I will just enjoy my children and my family and continue to look forward to the day my children have their own.

Teen has been rather challenging lately. But he came to me the other day and told me he was interested in working in child care because he likes little kids. He babysat for me on Saturday and I was satisfied with how he went. I would like to encourage him and see whether this is something he could do long term. It would certainly provide him with a small income.

Teen likes - to read, play his keyboard, use the computer, watch/listen to comedy skits, wrestle with his mates, play the PS2. When we move I would like to encourage him to do mountain biking and rock climbing. I, and my brothers, have an interest in these things and it would be lovely to have something to do with Teen that is away from the house.

No.2 would also love rock climbing, I have never seen a kid that loves climbing as much as he does! If there is a tree in a park, then he will do his best to disappear up it, lol. He is not so interested in reading, but he does read now and then. He likes to feel useful, he likes helping my mum around the house and in the garden. He likes to learn and has a curious nature.

I feel like I have not taught my kids as best as I could so far, by this I mean showing them how to seek out information for themselves, how to find out, how to follow through on their curiosity.

But there is no time like the present to begin.

No comments: